Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Simple Things

Willa Mae George was the maid of my best friend Becky's family. We grew up in a small town in Florida--Ft. Pierce. The picture I don't have, except in my mind---is the one of her standing at the ironing board everytime I arrived at Becky's house. The smile however, was as big and broad as the one here. For some reason, for a long time,  I thought her name was Willa Maid, some silly kid thing I suppose.
When I returned to Florida in '95 I started to make pictures of people from my home town---those who had had some sort of impact on me---Willa Mae was one of them.
We never had a maid at my house --- so to me, she was some sort of representation of wealth --- she raised us to a degree--because I spent a lot of time in that house of my best friend.
She was calm, understanding, loving and peaceful---unshakeable. She was reliable, something you could count on---you had the feeling that she was a fixture at that house and that she would be there as long as the house was.
Time goes by and we realize that nothing lasts forever --- kids grow up, people get old, houses get sold, families get divorced and move on.
But I will always remember Willa Mae, the ironing board, the generosity and the kind words; and of course that perfect smile and those white teeth.

1 comment:

  1. I miss her so. She was way more than a maid. She was family. She did help raise us...more like a nanny, I guess. She made the best grits ever. Her smile was so beautiful...like a big warm embrace. I felt safe and loved when she was around. Her natural way of being was a lesson in unconditional love, a lesson I will never forget.

    ReplyDelete