Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remembering South Africa

There are trips and photographs that last forever---that's what photographs are---captured moments that make us remember things and feelings.
I went to South Africa in 2002 to photograph a Habitat for Humanity Blitz Build with Jimmy Carter and his wife---and LOTS of volunteers who spent a week, usually of their vacation time, building 100 houses.
There were many memories, which I will post ongoingly because this is a memory I don't want to fade--- but mostly, I remember children--lots of hope, mountains of gratitude and a quote from a woman who was moving into her 2 bedroom one bath home from a 5 foot by 5 foot tin shack. It was the first time she would have a kitchen, running water and a bathroom. It was the first time she would not have to walk a half a mile just to get a bucket of water.
Part of Habitat--is something they call Sweat Equity. This is a concept that you must help build another's house before you can get your own. This woman's name was Patience oddly enough and when I asked her what she learned from the experience of owning her first home, she said, "It taught me to dream; because until now I had never dreamed I could have a brick and morter house. I will dream more now. This has taught me that anything is possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment